Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Left Overs and Food Touching

I can't eat left overs unless they are the right kind of left overs. I'm not sure what defines the right kind of left overs, I guess it's just foods like left over potatoes and meat that I can't eat... or like a sandwich that has ranch on it and makes the bread soggy, YUCK. Nothing worse than soggy bread. As some of you know I don't like my food to touch so this photo is me going out on a limb...... my food is touching and it's left overs! I must have been starving but it was really, really good. If you haven't made the Pioneer Woman's Enchiladas you got to try them.... they are fabulous, even as left overs.



Actually I've grown to let these types of foods touch each other, like using sour cream and guacamole on top of my enchilada. I know it's hard to believe especially if you've ever watched me eat and my corn juice gets anywhere close to my potatoes I freak out, or if my meat touches my potatoes I cut it off and put it on John's plate.
I have to tell you my favorite story of my food touching. Years ago I'm at a after hours work party in a local tavern and there is snacks there. I fix myself a plate of mozzarella dip on the left, shrimp dip with sauce on the right and pretzels. Nothing is touching and now I have to walk back through a crowded party to where I was standing, I get half way there and I meet a co-workers wife and she says "Ohhhh thanks Connie" as she takes a pretzel and starts with the shrimp dip and drags it totally across my plate into the mozzarella dip. I am shocked and stood there with this deer in the headlight look on my face not knowing what to do. I must have had a tear start swelling in my right eye as she says "what's the matter" I say "my food can't touch" and she takes my plate, holds it up to her face and licks the center until there is nothing touching. "there" and hands it back to me. I look around and everyone I work with knows me and is laughing hysterically at me, I am so shocked I can't speak. I hand the plate back to her and walked away. It's hilarious now but at the time I think I was traumatized.... her and I still talk about it and laugh every time, she's never seen anyone like me.
Not everyone in my family is struck with this fobia but those of us who have it, got it bad. My brother Randy has to have a different plate for everything he eats, his food can't even be put on the same plate. Let me tell you he goes through the dishes on holidays or potlucks!!

3 comments:

Photos by Julee said...

That is hilarious. How many dishes did your mom have to wash when all of you kids were growing up. There must be a treatment or therapy or something for this. I love the Pioneer Woman recipes. I haven't tried the enchiladas - Sounds good for this weekend.

jules said...

All I can say is Wow, that's interesting. Patti is kind of like that, but I don't think she is quite that extreme. I just know her ketchup can't touch her cheese on a burger?????

Patti said...

Hello..Came to Julie's for supper tonight and had a cheese burger. Julie commented to me about this entry on your blog. I don't know how but I missed this entry. So after we got done eating she had to show me. This is sssooo true!! I am guilty of the cheese/ketchup thing. When I fill up my plate with food I also eat one thing at a time, turn the plate then eat the next thing. Did we do this when we were kids? I can't remember when it all started.