Saturday, January 24, 2009

Distressed-a-holic

I'll have to post some pictures of what our house looked liked when we first moved here, it's come a longggggg way. Anyway in 1991 we enclosed the outside porch into living space. We loved our porch but with the family getting bigger we needed all the space we could get. The one side of the porch added onto the living room. I came home from work and the carpenter and John were working on gutting everything so when I looked through the hole in the wall I seen vaulted ceilings....... hummmmm
Me - "hey hunny can I have a vaulted ceiling in this new part?"
John - "NO"
Carpenter (friend) - "Yes"
Me - "Okay, I'll take a vaulted ceiling"

Well at that time we tore all the old porch floorboards off, planed them down and used them on this ceiling/beam, it was like keeping a piece of the old porch with the house. So now that it's 17 years later and the roof leaked just about every time it rained the boards were water stained and ugly. I mentioned a few months back about us removing them and drywalling instead. WOW did I get an earful from my sisters, daughter and niece so we opted to keep them, but I'd have to do something to clean them up. John was busy outside this morning so I grabbed some paint and did a test section..... good thing I liked it b/c I didn't have much choice if I didn't. Here is the picture of before with stains and all.


I kinda gave you a sneak peak on the bottom of the beam, I forgot to take a before picture soon enough.... I plan to distress it with creating divots, sanded areas and a warm stain. I'll update with the finished product in a few days. I like it a lot already.

No comments: