Sunday, December 30, 2012

Cottage Birds and Beauty

I could split these up between Saturday and Sunday but call me lazy..... so it's another photo overload.  So much for my POTD.

This weekend we finally made it back up to the cottage.  A long awaited trip that we should have MADE time for but we didn't.

We had feathery friends spending some time with us.




Okay so maybe I baited them.....   When I was packing our food I grabbed a bag of chips and found about 30 bags with crumbs in them so I dumped them all together for the birds..... it worked for the Blue Jays anyway.


So we get to the cottage after John worked half a day.  We got up there about 1:30 and we know it's going to be cold until the furnace catches up to a comfortable temperature.  So we unpack the truck, never fails we always have a full truck to take up, someday I'm sure we'll be able to pack an overnight bag and that's it.  Surprising we've almost furnished and decorated that whole place with stuff from our house and garage.  

The snow was falling from the trees with the sun making it sparkle on the way down.  John challenged me to photograph it.  

I WIN


Just in case you can't see the sparkle here it is closer.


So after the truck is unpacked I take my shoes off to put some stuff away and one trip to the fridge I say "Wow the floors are COLD".  Didn't think much of it since the rest of the cottage was cold too.  I'm putting towels in the bathrooms and John goes down to the basement and yells..... WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED DOWN HERE"..... oh no that ain't good.  Then it got worse and cuss words started to fly.  I quickly leap down the spiral staircase to say a few cuss words myself.  




A little closer for the sparkle



Love the depth in this one.


River is not looking like a river anymore


Oh do you want to know what happened in our basement?




Let's just say it could have been a lot worse than it was.  All Saturday afternoon and night John was ready to sell.


The basement is a walk out on one side and a garage on the other side.  We don't use the garage side for a garage but there is still the garage door with the opener.  Not sure how but the garage door was open.........  Yep we heated the outdoors, not sure how long it was opened or how it got opened since we don't use it.  Remember we haven't been here for a month.  The water was froze, there was an ice skating rink on the floor but the pipes were not broke, there were no animals living in there, there wasn't a snowdrift to be shoveled and the toilets were not frozen and busted .......... YEP it could have been worse, oh don't get me wrong it was bad and disappointing but we recovered and so did the pipes.  

The water was back in the morning, we turned everything on and all is well.  We will never go that long without running up to check things out again.  Especially for this first year until we learn all the "what's going to go wrong" while we are away.  

Enough of the bad..... let's go for my walk.....  It was a beautiful morning


This is the boat landing and while I was down there someone was up on the road watching me, pacing back and forth on the road.  I'm thinking the quiet dead end road doesn't get many visitors and there are some neighbors that don't know me yet.  I guess it's a good thing we have a neighborhood watch since we leave our doors wide open :)  Might have to give out our phone number to this guy so he calls us next time.


The sun came out and I turned to the west and the sky was so blue.



It was a relaxing weekend at the cottage since we didn't have water to do our chores but I did get them done on Sunday.  All the cleaning is now officially done, decorating has started and it looks so nice in there.  I'm going to have to start taking indoor pics to show you.  

No comments: