Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Proud Parents

This week is Adam's final week of school and he passed all his classes! {insert loud squeal here} He graduates this Saturday and I cannot tell you how proud we are of him. The person he has become is amazing from what we were told by the teaching experts of the school when he was in grade school and middle school. When he entered his Freshman year of High School he could read at a 2nd grade level, the chances of him graduating were slim, another scare was that he would turn 18 before his Senior year and with the frustrations of not being able to read and write like other kids his age he would probably drop out and there was nothing we could do about it. We plugged on with our love, support and guessing parenting skills, even though this was our 3 child they were all different and your skills have to change with everyone of them. Our excitement came when Adam got a D on his report card vs an F. We rewarded him for C's, tried to discipline the best we knew how about the food fight he started, dealt with the bus issues (I'll never forget the bus driver chewing me out in the credit union about how horrible my son was and all the customer staring at me), and gave him space to grow. It worked, he graduated and attended technical school in the welding program. Technical school hasn't been a bed of roses either, many bumps in this last year. Failed a class the first semester, ran our of money, difficulties with friendships, living alone away from home, missing the girlfriend, and lack of cooking skills he lost the freshman 15 instead of gaining it, and he didn't have it to lose. Today he called me while taking his welding test to ask me to make him a haircut appointment, we chatted and then he said he needed to go back to taking his welding test, I said " I love you sweetie, and good luck" he says "I love you too". That made my day even if he didn't pass his test, but he did and he's graduating in 4 days. The buttons are popping off our shirts, we are so proud of him....... but...... there is always a but....... my baby is growing up, I need someone to take care of, someone to need me, someone to come home and say "mom I'm home, mom I'm home..... MOM I'M HOME".   Anyone want to move in with us?

Now for the POTD, of course it's about Adam and what else would it be but his pride and joy.

Yep it's still in our yard and it runs, the stacks on the trunk work they blow black smoke which he thinks is cool, Michelle says keep the windows open cause the inside fills up with smoke too. If this isn't my brothers rubbing off on him I don't know what is, sometimes I think I'm still a kid living at home with my brothers. So let's tell a story about my brothers and cousins. So Wally, Rusty and Loren had this car that they cut the roof off to make a convertible. They drove around town in their new convertible and it was painted kinda like Adam's car and they thought they were cool. Later that night they parked the car by the highway with a NOT FOR SALE sign on it. I woke up and wondered why they would burn that car so close to the road but they do stupid stuff so I watched it for awhile. I then decided I should ask Wally about it so I wandered out to his garage bedroom and asked about the fire....... FIRE!!! Let’s just say the fire trucks greeted my mother and father as they returned home after working at the bar.  All us kids sat on the steps and watched it burn.   The car wasn't supposed to be on fire but a spark from them cutting off the roof got into the seat and hours later started the car on fire. Wally still tells this story to everyone along with calling me by my nick-name that I won't mention on here. A couple weeks ago I see him in the bar and he yells __________. How embarrassing.... this is my Adam, he is all Wally!!



He even has a girlfriend that helps him be Wally...... and we love her for that.




Congratulations Adam we love you and are very proud of you.  Also thank you to Michelle for helping him believe in himself, without you this may not have happened.  We love you both.

4 comments:

Paul and Nancy said...

Congrats, Adam! We won't make it to your celebration. We've had a camping trip planned for a long time.

Anonymous said...

aww! I love you too! and i will come live with you anytime! You call and I'll Say IM HOME! haha! I Love You! And Your Son! And Your ENTIRE family! Thanks for everything you do for me!
Love, Michelle

Photos by Julee said...

What a wonderful post Connie. You and John must be very proud and Adam should be very proud of himself too! Just a note...that car that Lorin and Wally had was referred to as the "Podge" and somewhere packed away we have the key from it and the article from the Star News - framed. They had it hanging in their apartment - "the outhouse". There are hundreds of stories like that one. Too funny - just gotta love em'.

Anonymous said...

....don't ask for live-in's, I may take you up on it. I come with a 12 year old though, is that all right? LOL.

K.S.