Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Dang Carseats

This week I am picking up Garrett and Elly from daycare, so first I tell Shannon to e-mail me late in the day on Tuesday so I don't forget. She yells at me a bit and says you better not forget my kids!! But guess what? She called me around 3:00, she said it wasn't to remind me but I know it was. Anyway I get to daycare and make one trip to the truck with the carseat base, diaper bag and El's backpack. Next Kelly has Garrett all buckled in and El is on her way out to the truck. She's a big girl now and can crawl in on her own and buckle herself up. But Garrett on the other hand has this huge, heavy carseat that is nothing like I'm used to... it can't take much to put this in, Shan takes it in and out of her car a hundred times a day. Well.....
Me - "El, I can't get Garrett's carseat latched how does this work?"
El - "Grandma you have it backwards"
Me - "No El he has to face backwards"
El - "No Grandma, the bottom is backwards"
Me - I put the blanket back over Gar's face, set him on the ground, turn the base around and then try again.
Me - "El this still can't be right, it doesn't snap"
El - "Grandma, Mom just sets it in and pushes hard until it make a loud snap" "You know a snap like when you break something in half"
Me - El must not know what she's talking about this has got to be backwards, so blanket back on, set set on the ground, turn the base around and back in it goes...... nope still doesn't work.
Me - "El watch Gar while I go get Kelly"
So Kelly and I did the same as above again, and finally took the base and the seat back into the house and sat down on the floor to figure this out. Todd laughed at us..... but then tried to help us. YEAH KELLY she figured it out and guess what? Elly was right the base needed to go in the truck the way she said. Back out to the truck, put the base in, I try to put Garrett in and I can't get it..... "Kelly help me?" Kelly hops in the truck and she gets him right in, now how am I gonna get him back out? Seesh this is hard work, now how many days did I volunteer to do this?
Tonight I got him right in, okay it took me two tries but it was much better than last night. By tomorrow I should be able to stop at the store to pick up milk, stop for gas, stop by grandma's, stop for supper and get home about 7:30...... geeze how did I do that with 3 kids? Do you have any idea how much stuff a 5 year old and 3 month old need and you have to carry it all at the same time. Yes I do remember having 3 kids to lug around with all their gear but once they are gone and you become a grandma.... OMGoodness. Thank goodness I have Grandpa and Adam to help me when I get home and then they get to have all the fun... He is talking so much and giggling, but I still think he likes Grandma the best :)

5 comments:

Deb said...

It took me a few tries with the infant seats too but once you get the hang of it, its not bad. And you're right about all the baggage for two kids. Usually takes me at least three trips to get everything in from the car. But they're worth it.

Jody said...

Kevin made me practice before we even had Keltie and I had a difficult time as well. It has gotten much easier now, but I do remember getting frustrated. It's worth all of the effort though to get to spend time with them. Enjoy!

jules said...

I totally agree. Those car seats are a challenge. I actually got my own base that stays in my car. Much easier. I still have a hard time carrying that heavy thing around. It was easier when we were kids and just laid on the front seat. That's where the "mom arm block" came from when you hit the brakes.

Enjoy

Patti said...

I am exhausted just reading this story.

Lynn said...

Um, so Shannon thinks I can take Garrett with me to my Dr. appointment the day she has to work and doesn't have a sitter. Is she nuts!!? Elly will be in school - so I won't have an assistant!!

Maybe by the time June rolls around there will be this huge new break threw carseat that is so easy to work!! ; ) Hey, a girl can dream!