Saturday, November 8, 2008

ER Trip

This is why we didn't go out of town last night.... it's a good thing we listen to our feelings.



The phone rings right after we went to bed last night, it was Adam.



Adam - Mom, I breathed in chemicals at work
Mom - What?, what kind of chemicals?
Adam - I mixed bleach with a dishwasher cleaner
Mom - What's happening?
Adam - I can't breath very well and I'm having chest pains
Mom - Where are you?
Adam - I'm at Sarah's, sitting outside to help me breath
Mom - We'll be right there

We pick up Adam and he is coughing and complaining of chest pains, I don't have my nurse line number. I call work to get it and they gave me two numbers that weren't the right ones. (Note to self - write down the nurse line number and put in my cell phone). We stop at his work and grab the gallon of cleaner and head to the ER. The nurse was kinda short and snipping with us at first, I think she thought it was something other than an accident. After Adam explained the incident she got nicer to him. The floor cleaner is always in the same spot and for some reason the dishwasher cleaner was in that spot so when he mixed the mop bucket water he didn't pay attention to what he did until the white cloud surrounded his face. He ran outside coughing and so did the cook and waitress. They used their t-shirts to cover their breathing to get back in and empty the bucket. She did a oxygen level test, a EKG (because he was complaining of chest pain) and a chest Xray. The doctor then came in and talked with Adam. He was so nice and so understanding of what happened, he even told Adam that he has mixed chemicals together himself, even when the bottle says "Do not mix with Bleach". He told Adam that he created chlorine gas.... hummm I think your suppose to do that in the science lab, not in a mop bucket. All test came back good but his oxygen level was not at 100% and his lungs were "Mad at Him" as they put it. They gave him an inhaler and sent us on our way, so much for an early night!! This could have been so much worse than it was, we are thankful that he is okay and that we didn't decide to go out of town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did she happen to have red hair and a limp????


L

Connie said...

Yes.... hummmm she must be known for her pleasent bedside manner.