Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Weights

I have been using weights for a couple of months now and got pretty comfortable in the fitness classes with the smallest ones. I read about this book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. They tell me IF YOU ARE NOT READING THIS YOU SHOULD BE. It explains everything in painful detail, such as:

1 - Pick up those heavy weights, ladies. Pick them up NOW
2 - Why you can't crunch your way into a flat stomach
3 - Why "what are some good lower ab exercises" is NOT a good question, as is "tell me about core exercises" (hint: I found out everything that hurts is a core exercise!)
4 - You need to eat more calories to lose weight, despite what you think BINGO!
5 - CARDIO IS NOT WHAT MAKES YOU LOSE WEIGHT

Well boys and girls, I crawled out of the gym yesterday after a 45 minute Boot Camp Workout and 20 minutes on the elliptical. My butt cheeks hurt, my stomach muscles were sore, and there is some evil thing called "crunches" that we did at the end of the workout that made me cry. I got very good at lifting my safe weights but I guess I have more to learn about my body. Today my hamstrings are killing me I can feel every new muscle that was used and all from picking up heavier weights. I have not gone shopping for this book yet but I'm thinking I may have to check the library and see what it has to say. So I guess it's time to put the 5#'s away and break out the 8's.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

You make exercising sound fun!!! Seriously.