Saturday, April 12, 2008

New light

What do you do on a Saturday when it's cold, wet, snowy, windy, yucky, gross outside???? You beg your husband to hang the new light that you bought, and he's been putting off hanging it because he is sooooo busy, I need something to do during the week, I didn't know you wanted me to hang it, I thought you bought that for a gift, I didn't know what room you wanted it hung in...... Well today was the day he couldn't find any excuse not to hang it for me. It was a good thing there were no children around because they would have learned many ways to use the same bad word over and over again. It didn't start off very well when John is a read the directions to the tee kind of guy and they were written in Spanish (English was there but by far the dominate language was Spanish).
John - Before we start I want to apologize for anything I say or do during this project.... I don't really mean it. (XOXOXOX)
Connie - Should we cut off the power?
John - No I'll just shut the light off
Connie - Are you sure?
John - F'ing yes
Connie - "says nothing"
John - Okay fine I'll cut the power...
John - Turns on light switch "It doesn't f'ing turn on already????
Connie - What???
John - Oh, I took the f'ing light bulbs out already!!
Connie - "says nothing"
Things are going fairly well for awhile, old light fixture is down and still in one piece, new fixture is put together and nothing is broken. Then the bad part of the whole project.... thread up wires through a tiny, tiny hole and connect the old house wires to the new light, having to spin the bolt which causes the chain to twist up like when you were a kid winding up on your swing until your feet couldn't reach the ground and then you spun yourself dizzy.... over and over again.
John - How the F are you suppose to do this?
John - These F'ing directions
John - Connie come hold this
John - F I didn't put the F'ing cover on first..... F'ing directions!!
Connie - Looks away and rolls eyes
John - Don't look at me like that
Connie - I didn't look at you, I looked away from you...
John - How the F are you suppose to turn this up without f'ing twisting the chain?
Connie - How about I spin the light as you spin the bolt??
John - F'ing directions are a waste of ink
Connie - Starts spinning light without okay from John
Connie - It's working but I'm not saying anything...
Well the light is up, power is back on, it works and John apologized again. I love the new light it was totally worth it. My only worry is this is only the start of our huge remolding project that we will be living all summer long. If you want to test your marriage build or remodel.
My new light and the start of my Tuscan decor, the shades turn rusty brown when the lights are turned on.


I couldn't take a picture of my old one, it's too embarrassing. I think we bought it back in the 80's. Now I can't wait to paint, tear down wallpaper, and rip out some walls... hurry up spring!

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh! I feel like I was right there watching this go down. I could picture it all! Way too funny!

The Rau's said...

Just make sure you don't put those f'ing energy saving twirly looking light bulbs in that new light...they suck!!!
I think John is the only man that I know that reads the directions to do something. Mike always throws them to the side and then when he's done there are always extra pieces and parts that they send along....okay Mike, whatever.