Monday, April 14, 2008

Mt. Dew

I love, love, love Mountain Dew. It's one of my bad habits, I've quit many times and won't drink one for 6-9 months and then that dang green can jumps into my hand and I'm hooked again. I really just love the look of Mt Dew, it's gotta be the green can that draws me to it. I now am drinking Diet Mt Dew but it's just not the same and I could switch back in a heartbeat. I found a recipe this weekend that uses Mt Dew..... how could I resist. I bought all the stuff including a 12 pack of Mt Dew (you all know what is gonna happen with the other 11 cans), and I baked the sweet savory dish yesterday. I had to talk circles around John and Adam to get them to try even one bite, but after they did they both had 2nd's. It really is a dessert you have to try, the men in your life will love it. I had to give the recipe to two people already including Adam's buddies that were here and would not even try it since it was made with soda.

Apple Dumplings on my mothers old Co-op plate


My daughter Lynn was never a cook, she would eat Ramon Noodles and Spaghetti out of a box for months. When she got married and moved to Oregon we thought her cooking habits were gonna have to change, what we didn't realize that she would become obsessed with cooking. She has shared many recipes with us over the last 4 years and they are all very good, some really strange (Big Blue Burgers made with Blue Cheese Chunks). She decided to start a blog to share her passion with more than just us. She doesn't like to admit it but she also writes a menu every week as to what they are going to have for dinners, along with an excel spreadsheet that dumps her recipes into a grocery list. So in honor of Lynn's new blog http://lmf-recipes.blogspot.com/ the best Apple Dumplings I've ever made and the recipe.

Note - (Lynn cannot bake... she made puppy chow a few weeks ago at our house and she just guessed instead of measuring, burnt the chocolate and peanut butter, Shannon however can bake circles around her but doesn't really like to cook)

Apple Dumplings
2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon and sugar (We used this on our toast growing up so it's always mixed up)
1 can Mountain Dew (do not, I repeat... do not use Diet Mt Dew. The aspartame heated up turns into something equal to Rat Poison... now maybe with saying that I shouldn't drink that stuff.... huuuummm)

Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples. Pour about 6-8ozs of Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan (Drink the rest). Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top. Then go to confession. Quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can make this for me anytime!!! Looks yummy!!! And if I would make it here- I would have to eat the whole damn pan myself.

L