Friday, February 21, 2014

Snow Day



They have been predicting the worst snow storm of the season for the last 3-4 days.  It didn't start out so bad but as soon as I got home from work the snow started to fall.



Like 10 inches of snow fell during the night and then 50 mph winds happened.  Well living out here on the prairie…. wind is not good mixed with new snow.  When John got up for work the driveway was clear so he had no reason to hurry his routine and clean the yard.  He was about ready to leave and the driveway in front of my garage door was filling up fast.  Now he leaves 2 hours before me so in that 2 hours it could be plugged tight so he tries to move me to his garage which is clear.  Then after he goes out there the end of the driveway is filling up, he has no idea if he'll make it out.  
He takes a run at it and makes it…. half way to work he wonders why he's going.  Total whiteout at that time of the morning and no plows have been out yet.  He calls when he gets to work and advises me not to go to work.   SNOW DAY!!
I really, really enjoyed my day at home, I must have needed it.  I don't get much alone time in my house  during the daylight hours and I crave it.  

Of course I had to take photos of the big storm as it was happening.   
This is the view from my front door.


This is the view from my front looking over the drift.  You can see that wind still blowing the snow around.  

Another view of the deck and the intersection


We might eat our breakfast out on the deck by June. 

 Remember the 1st photo in this post of the deck…… I took only 12 hours ago. 


Here is the view out the patio door as the snow plow goes through. 



The bottom of the door was packed tight 


John got home safe and sound but getting in the driveway was another story.  He parked on the road and when he was walking in someone got stuck on the corner so he walks down to see if he could help her.  The corner is plugged up tight.  


Her husband was coming to get her so John walked back home.


The wind is crazy and it's dang cold out too.


So now he needs to plow the driveway to get his pick-up off the road.  I decide I'm going to ride with him. 
Before we get started the neighbors husband is coming in to ask for a chain to pull his wife's car out.  He had to crawl in over the snowdrifts.  



Here is where the wind just whips through the driveway.  


Neighbor leaving…..


He seriously had to crawl out there was no other way in or out of the yard.  


Now to start plowing this mess and where to go with it.  Good thing John pushes it back really far at the beginning of the season. 



Slowly after an hour we are getting a path broke through.  


We made it now to widen it out




I moved John's truck in the yard, shoveled in front of my garage door and took some photos….. and then I was frozen.



It might be a little deep.


 As I type this tonight someone tried to drive down our road….. tried is the key word.  He is now being assisted by a truck with a V-plow cleaning the road and pulling him through it.  
This winter will end…..someday.  





No comments: