Monday, January 20, 2014

Sledding Up North

****warning - super long post with lots of pictures****

This last weekend Lynn, Jesse and the kids were going up to the cottage for a weekend of sledding, games, quiet time, movies and unlimited snacking.  John had to work and didn't want to run up for only the one night so he told them "maybe" we'd come up but probably not so have a great time.

Saturday I get a text message around 9:30 "pack your clothes we're going up north as soon as I get out of here"  If you ask the kids they would all tell you when their dad said "maybe" it might yes.  

Sledding was a huge entertainment for Saturday afternoon.  The sledding hill was already started a month ago but with the blow up sleds it was too narrow and the kids were getting stuck half way down.  but they loved being outside.




Here is how Max got back up the hill, crawled right back up the way he went down.  


And back down he'd go.


Mallory got out there and it's her first time down, daddy gets her all set and gives her a nice big push...


Flipped her right over face first into the snow.  


Oh don't worry she loved it and sat there and giggled.


A better push and she's on her way.


Well then John got out the shovel and made the path wider to accommodate the new sleds.  He was our maintenance guy hired to work on the sledding hill.


Worked like a charm the ride got much faster for the kids.


But you can't get these kids to stop smiling even with the long walk up the hill.


Mallory was a spinner, she would spin circles all the way down.



Sometimes maintenance would  accidentally shovel backwards..... ummmmm sir I have a camera here!!





Sometimes I still get distracted by snow glittering in the sunshine.


Then the big kids got a couple turns and the hill was packed and much faster.



And since it was faster we could fly past me and down the bottom half of the hill.







Jesse got his turns and so did John.   I ran the camera for both mine and Lynn's.  When I filled up a memory card I took my turn down the hill.  Of course Maggie doesn't chase anyone but me, she almost jumped right on the sled with me and chased me down the hill.  I heard a big puff of air and at the bottom the tube was flat and Maxwell has to tell everyone "Grandma broke the sled". 


The afternoon outdoors was great it was just what we all needed.  When we came it in was a movie for the kids and they snuggled right up on the floor.



I went in to check on them and Mallory says.  "Grandma do you want to snuggle with me?"   Ummmmmm heck yea



The next morning I tested a gallon of paint on the walls (don't like it, so it will change) and our new sitting area was a hit.  Sitting here and looking outside day or night was very enjoyable.  Grandpa John is playing the kindle with Maxwell.  Those two get along so well.



Then Mally was jealous.


And John said he would take my picture with the kids since that doesn't happen very often. 



Maxwell is a very emotional child he loves and cares for everything.  He says thank you for everything, he has a sweet little voice and knows how to get everything he wants from Grandma.


John found Lynn and Jesse hiding out in the other room without the kids.  


He also found Maggie on the deck. 


Lynn playing Bingo with the kids


Mally coloring


Maxwell playing the kindle


So Sunday early afternoon we head back to the sledding hill.  John blew up another sled and went down to the bottom of the hill and Jesse sent Mally on down.  




It was fast, it had frozen over after yestereday and Mally flew down that hill, John tried to catch her and she knocked him right over.  She was done, it was too scary for her.



You would think we would have been warned with that..... nope we sent Maxwell down....... Same thing he was done too.


They were much happier playing in the snow today.




Jesse asked if I wanted to go down and I said no you go ahead.  Thank goodness cuz the sled popped, that would have been me again.  So glad it happened to him.  

The adults took over the sledding hill today, it was fast and so much fun.  Of course the walk back up was a killer.  The kids liked to push you down so when I would walk back up the hill they were begging for me to go down again, of course I would.  

I took a couple videos on my phone they are Me and Lynn and John and Mally
 (arrow over names for links)  

I still laugh so hard at the videos, it was so much fun.  Just the memories I want to make.

I then taught Mallory and Maxwell how to play Fox and Hound.  Tramping through the snow, making dens, hunting for foxes.... it was above my knees, they could hardly follow me (the snow was as tall as Max) but we did it.  They had so much fun and of course added to the make believe.  Maxwell caught a fox and they got on all fours and ate it for lunch.  Crazy kids.  


If you made it this far, thank you.  We had a great weekend in the winter wonderland.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Connie,
We now have black tire inner tubes from Fleet Farm for our sledding hill, we kept popping the other ones too! I went to Fleet to buy one and the guy helping me wanted to know what size tire I needed it for, had to tell him none we were using them on the snow hill.
Linda Filtzkowski

runwyoming said...

Great pics! SO many happy smiles captures! Love to see all of them.