Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Treasure Hunting

It's been super busy in the life of Connie Hemmer so I apologize for neglecting my blog.  I fear the smell of fall, the feel of fall and the fact that fall is right around the corner so I must spend every second in my waking hours doing something that makes me feel like it's still summertime.  I don't mind fall but I really like summer so making the adjustment is not easy.  When Adam was little I could not get him to adjust to season changes, he would wear his winter coat long into the spring or his zip off pants would be zipped off way too long.  Sometimes I think the babysitter (and the teachers at school) would think there was something wrong with his mother for dressing him off season.

I'm still wearing my shorts and flip flops but this day last week was 90 degrees and I decide to go treasure hunting in an old house with my girlfriend.  This house has been hunted, ripped apart, firemen have used it to drag a 300 pound dummy to safety, the police have scanned it in the dark for practice runs.   So the chances of finding any treasures was slim but hey I was willing to give it a try.  My junk seems to not appeal to many people and they just don't understand what I see in it.  This is what we sifted through and when I say sifted I mean down on our hands and knees picking up every little thing.   There were old mouse nest, old clothes, large items placed in small spaces to challenge the fire and police men, cardboard over the windows to make it really dark in there.  I remembered to bring along just about everything except gloves...... good thing I remembered the bleach wipes and sanitizer.



But I found this..... yea' that's a mouse hole in the front but the mouse was gone :)



I couldn't take photos of all the other treasures inside the house because it was so dark in there we only had flashlights to help us dig.  But here is my pile just outside the door.  Thank you Lisa for being the Price is Right Girl.


Lampshades, birdcages, bottles, trainsets, scales, trunks, chairs, metal toy clown, vintage alarm clock, footstools, vintage wedding dress, very old brass crib, lamps, vintage Coke TV trays, vintage canning jars, vintage Navy patches, Navy hat.............oh my!!  

Here is my truck after I was loaded up from inside the house but during our drive out Lisa and I noticed some more treasures on the outside of the house and I didn't get a photo after I re-loaded.  I also didn't take a photo of my back seat..... I wanted no evidence that I put anything INSIDE my truck.  Now here's the deal..............  Don't tell John!!  I unloaded at our wedding storage garage and only brought home a couple items.  I'll slowly bring them home to Jazz up and make them re-usable.


John, if you read this and got this far...... I really didn't put anything in the backseat....... and I love you. You know I'm just like my mother.  Remember when she gave Adam a Christmas present that she found in the dump?  

As I type this we are watching Picker Sisters.  I love this show.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I was just going to ask you if you watch Picker Sisters! I've been watching it - there have been marathons on! Did you see the one where they took a silo and made it into outdoor swings? So, now I want you to do find an old metal silo - haul it home (or to the secret storage unit) and then cut a chunk off put a cute cushion in it and hang it from a tree! It was adorable!!!

LisaS said...

Sure was a fun adventure!! Cant wait till the next one.

Anonymous said...

I watched the Picker Sisters marathon too!! -- And everyone thinks I'm nuts 'cuz I want an old Chopper Box for a Garden Shed! I think more people should watch Picker Sisters!
Loved what you've done with your 'junk' so far! Can't wait to see the rest...
Elaine