Thursday, September 4, 2008

What's our direction???

Straight north out my kitchen window (newly stained window as a matter of fact).
Today we had our grilling patio poured and stamped. My first thought was to only have the compass stamped into the center but by the time the guys left here on Tuesday afternoon I was having a brick outline and cobblestone corners... and this morning the guys were already here and tried to talk me into having the whole thing colored concrete to match the windows. I told them NO (I was so proud of myself, I didn't crumble and give in to their suggestions) just natural is fine and then acid wash the color into the compass. Then I left for work and thought about the colored concrete all the way to work, talk to a few people about it, e-mailed John to see what he thought, thought some more and by 7:15 I called home to tell them to add the color (I crumbled). It was only 40 minutes since I talked to them but it was too late Adam said it was already poured and the guys were almost done leveling it off.
Oh well I still like it, in 3 weeks they'll add the color to the compass. All we have to do is buy the bistro table, move the grill out, enjoy the cocktails and head straight north.

When they stamp this compass they use a real compass and line it up true north no matter how your house lines up with it. I was so glad that north is lined up with our house because I could live with them stamping the compass to north straight with the house but John wouldn't have it any other way than true north. It's a guy thing!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool - I love my patio out back - but it is not as fancy as yours- just concert. And in 3 weeks you will be in your long underware and wearing a winter jacket...LOL

L

and ps- I can do cocktails just about any time!!!

Lynn said...

That is so neat!! Oh the ideas you guys come up with! So creative over there!

I can't wait to see it painted!!

L - we better not have to wear our long underware in 3 weeks! LOL!

The Rau's said...

That looks so cool. I've been begging (whining) for a stamped concrete patio/fire pit for 2 years and Mike won't give in!! Maybe after he sees yours......