Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Southwest Chicken Salad

If your like me there has been a time or two that you ordered a Southwest Chicken Salad while at your favorite Mexican Restaurant. It's my favorite salad and I had one last Friday in the Detroit Airport and it was fabulous. I started a search on-line to find a recipe that represented the salad that I had there and I came up with a close 2nd but the chicken short cut that I came across was well worth the search.
So here's the Chicken short cut - A bag of boneless skinless chicken breast (thawed), generously sprinkle the chicken with McCormick's Broiled Steak Seasoning, place in crock pot. Add about 1 cup of chicken broth. (I use the chicken bullion paste mixed with water). Cook the chicken in the crock pot for 7-8 hours. Now here's the short cut - Cool and place in freezer bags to use in all your favorite chicken recipes. Who couldn't use a couple cooked chicken breast on a Monday night when you don't have any supper ideas.... defrost, fry or grill, add a salad and go, suppers done!
Now the challenge is having the chicken breast make it to the freezer. I made this chicken short cut on Sunday with all intentions of using 2 for supper and freezing the rest. Sunday night I served them with garden red potatoes (thanks to Shawna), stuffing, broccoli and cauliflower, gravy made from the chicken stock in the crock pot, and rolls. Lynn and Jesse were over to pledge for the fantastic tasting chicken... nothin' but moans and groans during this meal. That chicken is fantastic, you gotta try it!
Tuesday I used the chicken for my Southwest Chicken Salad and it was again a hit. None of this chicken made it to the freezer but I do plan to make up a batch again real soon to help me out with those stressful nights of "What's for Supper?"
Tonight I had leftover chicken and the leftover Corn Salsa and chips from the salad. I love my Mexican bowls, my salsa wouldn't be served in anything else.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Um yes! This chicken is fantastic!! I could go for some right now and it is only 9 in the morning. ; )

Love the salsa bowl and the corn salsa in it! So festive!