Monday, April 26, 2010

Trip to Iowa

John and I took a fast trip to Iowa for his uncle's funeral.  I got up this morning, exercised, went to work for a few hours, drank 64 ozs of water and then hopped into the truck with John for the next 6.5 hours.  Hummmm does anyone see a problem with this?  If you don't know the Hemmer's you probably wouldn't see anything, but those of you that know them, know that they do not stop for anything.  Hungry.... you should have brought snacks, Need to stretch..... too bad, Need to Pee..... I'll slow down while you squat behind that tree, then run to catch up.  I actually did pretty good we only had to stop once and I didn't even have to beg.  Iowa is about 2-3 weeks ahead of us with their trees and flowers.  Their grass is so green and the trees are in full bloom, nice time for allergies.  This is one of the stops to grab a soda from the cooler.



I have been to Iowa twice before, once when we were dating and again after we were married.  I don't remember much about John's cousins and neither does he.  He was the only Hemmer boy that was born and raised in Wisconsin, so Iowa to him is as much a new experience as it is to me.  I learned today he was "the baby".  The cousins all refered to him as "the baby" or "Johnny".  It was fun to hear the stories that they remember about him when they visited.  John's older brothers talked about their school days, we actually ate in the same cafeteria they did in grade school, I think the kids still play on the same playground equipment. 

Very sad that it takes a funeral to get together with family you have not seen in over 20 years.


2 comments:

jules said...

Sounds like riding with Brian, no stopping! Or he'll say, "the next rest area is only 10 miles away." An hour later we still haven't stopped. Although I have to admit, he is getting better with this in his "old age."

Lynn said...

Hahha! I read the 64oz of water and went NOOOOOooo!!!