Tuesday, April 27, 2010

He melts me

Mussy stuff coming in this post.... for the weak, stop reading now. 

Whenever this man puts on a tie I melt.  I forget all the times he didn't listen to the GPS on the way here, I forget all the times he got in my way while packing the suitcases, I forget all the times he asked me if I had everything packed,  I forget all the times he got frustrated when I told him to follow the GPS and not think she's stupid...... I forgot that he wouldn't call his brothers to find out where they were, I forgot that he made me carry most of our stuff up to our room,  I forget everything except how much I love this man and how he makes me melt.  I look at him in a tie and I'm mush.  It's amazing how after 27 years of marriage and one simple tie with a silver button down shirt completely makes me forget all the disagreements and all I can think about it how much I love him.    This man is a wonderful son, brother, uncle, cousin, friend, husband, a great father and one heck of a grandfather and he still makes me melt.



John was a pallbearer for his Uncle Louie.  I watched as he and the others did their job so proudly, I have always had lots of respect for the men in the family to be picked for that honor but what a difficult job it must be.  Louie was a Navy veteran so there was a military 21 gun solute, I have never been to a military service and what a moving experience it was.   Louie rest in peace and we'll continue to keep his family in our prayers as they work through these difficult months ahead.

Okay now onto a couple funny stories just because we need humor in our lives.  So John's dad is the oldest of the family and for 86 he is doing very well and looks great.  At the wake I'm sitting next to dad and someone comes up and tells him how great he looks and he says "Everyone tells me that but I don't feel so great"  How old are you Gilbert?  "86 and that's a long time to live"...... at the funeral Jeannie tells Aunt Eddy she looks great and Eddy says "looks are decieving, I don't feel so great".... they crack me up becasue they really do look good!  Now we all know that Gilbert has to fight with his sisters all the time, so Eddy was mad at Gilbert today before she even seen him, he made her mad.  :)  When we got in line for our lunch Tomi got dad's plate for him, he can do it himself but of course if she asked he'll let her.  So he was the only one sitting at the table when we walked behind him John flicks his ear and gives him a back rub..... oh dad just ate that up.  Then someone put Aunt Eddy right across from Gilbert to eat, that must have been a quiet meal.  Mom says as the cousins are talking about "the baby" and stories they remember... "I felt sorry for John being the youngest, his brothers were grown and gone before he was old enough to remember them and then dad and I didn't feel like doing anything with him so he was all alone"....... hummmmm John says "I'm 46 years old and I've never heard you say that.  Dad and Mom talk about different places and people in Iowa and ask John if he remembers...... ummmmm no remember I wasn't born here.  I love listening to these stories and finally getting to meet the cousins in Iowa.  It's pretty sad when this was the first time I've meet many of the cousins...

When we got near our house I took a picture of John and I on my phone and sent to the kids...... "we're home, hope you didn't miss us too much"  Lynn text me back and said Ohhh Mallory has the Hemmer blood today she is grumpy....... I let her know that we had Hemmer blood for 2 days and of couse she says "BLOG about it I want to know everything".  Shan and Adam said they missed us terribly, right? 

As we were driving home I realized we forgot our pillows in the room, I just bought them last weekend and those are new cases, like expensive pillows and cases, now how am I going to sleep without matching pillows........  it's okay John wear your tie tomorrow when I get home from work and I'll forget all about it.  My husband in a tie makes me happy   :) 


5 comments:

jules said...

I still think we might be twins....

Have you ever noticed the pic I have of Brian in the left column of my blog under "My hubby".....

Blue shirt and tie......

Photos by Julee said...

Sweet memories and stories.....I know that "lucky" feeling you have. I have also been blessed to have a wonderful husband that I thank God for everyday. That truly is one of the things I am most thankful for in my life. And, what is it about them in a tie???? Does the same thing to me, what's up with that? See you next week. Prayers for your family as they deal with their loss.

Lynn said...

Apparently dad didn't ask you if you had everything when you left the hotel room! Hahahaha!!

Love the Hemmer stories!

Patti said...

Do you wanna go shopping some time? I think I need to buy Chris a tie, he does not own one.

Deb said...

Ties and tuxes, rarely seen but oh so sweet!