Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Grandparents Day

Today was grandparents day at school so we got to join Elly for a program and lunch.  Then of course she begs to come home with us, and we let her.  

First let me tell you about school lunch.... they started a new program this year, the food is not cooked by the school, it is suppose to be healthier for the kids.  I've heard lots of complaints about the food so being able to experience it myself was interesting.  My first glimpse of the food is chicken, broccoli, cheese and I'm not sure what else all mixed together and they served it with an ice cream scoop.  Okay so I try not to show my "oh my gosh what are they thinking" face.... next it's apple something, I think they thought it was like a crisp without the good stuff like oatmeal and brown sugar.  Again served with an ice cream scoop.  You can take as much lettuce, snap peas, tomatoes, orange slice and pineapple as you want.  Yummy stuff here.  Okay so I picked at the chicken stuff and managed to eat all the broccoli and chicken and spread out the rest of the "I'm not sure what it was" around my plate to make it look to Elly like I ate it.  It didn't have much flavor but the taste was okay.  Lettuce with vegetables was.... well lettuce.  Apple surprise was horrible it was cooked apples in cinnamon, lots and lots of cinnamon.  Okay so 1 bite of that was more than enough and I couldn't fake that one.  Pineapple was from a can so that was good and the orange slice was like rubber.  Elly didn't complain about the food at all but she hardly ate a thing, she picked the tiny peas out of the pods and a few bites of chicken and broccoli.  The two kids sitting with us complained the whole time and their mom said they complain every day about the food.  It's only been about 14 days of school and this is all new so maybe it will get better.

Okay so here's the girl of the day.  Her program was so stinkin' cute and even though I didn't think much of the lunch it's so much fun to enjoy that time with her.  We've been through this already and know what we're suppose to do but we still ask her to show us, she loves that.



And GarMan did come visit too.  Some day he will grow into those eyes :)


By 2:30 I was starving and needed a snack!!

2 comments:

jules said...

Oh my goodness! He was just a baby....how did he get so big so fast?

Lynn said...

When I asked Dad how lunch was he said something so funny and now I can't remember it. And poor El was stage fright. LOL. She kept telling me that over and over.

Why does Gar always have that look of surprise on his face? The kid cracks me up!